Saturday, October 09, 2004

Who Knew Feeding the Baby Could Cause Such a Commotion?

Baby Question Number One. . . . Breastfeeding -- Too Risque for Public, um, Consumption?

Ok, you guys know me well enough to understand the irony involved when a person flings the phrase "stinkin' crunchy hippie-chick" in my direction. I mean, I pretty much don't leave the house without at least mascara and lip gloss on. I do own Birkenstocks, but the toenails displayed in them are always painted. That's just me -- you get the point. But when it comes to baby issues, apparently I have some pretty "stinkin' crunchy hippie-chick" ideas.

Since I found out I was pregnant, I have spent some time on an iVillage discussion board for women due in December. I have gleaned some valuable information from the other women there, but recently, several topics have developed into heated debates. The one which has intrigued and bothered me the most has centered around the concept of breastfeeding. Now, I hope to breastfeed for a full year, and I hadn't expected to spend the entire year sequestered in the house. I did think that I might actually go places with the baby. And feed Liam at those places. However, according to some women on the discussion board, ALL breastfeeding moms should do "that" at home or in *restrooms*. These women believe breastfeeding in public is the height of rudeness. One stated that the breast is a sexual organ and that even though breastfeeding moms try to feed their babies as discretely as possible -- we're not talking about waving boobs around or flashing strangers -- a baby nursing from a breast rather than a bottle made too many people uncomfortable. Therefore, any considerate mom would never think of breastfeeding in a public venue.

I am curious to hear what you think. . . .

Meghan (in case you thought Will had taken to wearing lip gloss)